EXCUSING AN ABSENCE
If your student will be absent from school, please contact the Attendance line or email the attendance office to report the absence within 48hours. Absences may not be excused after 48 hours. When excusing an absence, please be sure to include the student's name, date of absence, and reason for absence to avoid any delay in excusing the absence.
You can click here to see the California Education Code list of acceptable reasons to excuse an absence. If your student is going to be absent and it does not fall under one of the excusable reasons, you may complete this form prior to the absence and turn it into the attendance office.
To report a student absence please fill out our online form CLICK HERE TO ACCESS FORM
To speak with an attendance clerk please call 209.836.7460 ext. 3021
To email the attendance office please email email@example.com
DATES STUDENTS MUST BE PRESENT
1. Please note that it is essential that students be present on the first and last day of the school year. Students who are not present will be dropped and must re-enroll when they return.
2. Students MUST be present for finals in December and May. Early finals will not be provided for students to leave school early. If there is an extenuating circumstance, please contact your student's counselor.
SHORT-TERM Independent Study (Click here for the form):
- Short-term Independent Study is used when a student is planning to be absent due to a trip or non-medical reason for a period of at least five (5) school days and no more than ten (10) school days.
- Requests for Short-term Independent Study agreements must be submitted at least ten (10) school days prior to the absence.
- Students whose achievement is below grade-level standards, may not be eligible for Short-term Independent Study.
- If a student has unsuccessfully completed a previous Short-term Independent Study agreement, they are not eligible for any subsequent Short-term Independent Study agreements.
- Effective 8/10/17, students will not be granted more than three (3) Short-term Independent Study agreements during their time in grades K-12.
- Short-term Independent Study agreements will not be issued the first twenty (20) school days or the last twenty (20) school days of the year.
- Coursework assigned on a Short-term Independent Study Agreement must be completed and submitted on the FIRST day the student is scheduled to return to school. Any missed tests/quizzes/presentations will be taken or presented on the FIRST day the student is scheduled to return to school.
EXCESSIVE EXCUSED ABSENCES
Per LUSD Administrative Regulation (AR) 5113(c), after a student has had 5 absences verified by a parent for illness, any further absences must be verified by a physician.
To access the attendance section of the Student Handbook, please click here.